Chronology

 

1950

The Hollandsche Schouwburg becomes the property of the municipality of Amsterdam, following the gift from the Comité Hollandsche Schouwburg. On condition that it not be used for 'entertainment' and that a memorial chapel, or Chapelle Ardente, be installed

1952-1958

The municipal council proposes various purposes for the Hollandsche Schouwburg. One proposal is to set up a Netherlands Institute for War Documentation (RIOD, later NIOD) in the building. Other possibilities were to use it as a Jewish Cultural Centre, or a memorial centre for Anne Frank.

1958
At a meeting of the muicipal council it is decided to furnish the Hollandsche Schouwburg as a place of memorial for Jews who were deported from the Netherlands and killed.
1962

The Hollandsche Schouwburg, now a memorial site, is officially unveiled by mayor van Hall of Amsterdam.

De Chapelle Ardente zoals die in 1962 werd ingericht.

1963

The text 'Voormalige Hollandsche Schouwburg. Herdenkingsplaats van de in 1940-1945 gevallen Joodsche landgenoten' (Former Hollandsche Schouwburg. Memorial for the fallen Dutch Jews), engraved on the memorial wall at the back of the building, arouses cosiderable protest. Many object to the use of the word 'fallen'.

1965
Presentation in the Hollandsche Schouwburg of the book Ondergang, (published in English as Ashes in the wind ) which was to become a standard history of the persecution of Jews in the Netherlands, written by the Dutch historian Jacques Presser.
1966

The text on the memorial wall at the back of the building is changed. It now reads: 'Ter herinnering aan hen die van hier werden weggevoerd' (In memory of those who were taken from this place).

De herdenkingsmuur achter het monument.

1988

Wreaths of flowers placed at the monument on Dutch Remembrance Day, the fourth of May, are stolen.

1992
The Jewish Historical Museum is appointed curator of the Hollandsche Schouwburg. The Hollandsche Schouwburg will now fulfil a double function: both memorial site for survivors and relatives and educational monument for school students.
1993
Mayor Ed van Thijn of Amsterdam lights the eternal flame in the new memorial chapel. A permanent exhibition with special educational goals is mounted in the Hollandsche Schouwburg.
2001

Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander visits the Hollandsche Schouwburg together with his then fiancée, Máxima Zorreguieta.

Kroonprins Willem-Alexander en Maxima Zorreguieta schrijven een tulpenkaart tijdens hun bezoek op 10 september 2001.

2003
The Hollandsche Schouwburg spreads its message further. A wider public is reached, including those not directly involved in the persecution of the Jews, by new teaching programmes and this website.
2005

The first presentation of Gevangen Gezichten opens in the entrance hall of the Hollandsche Schouwburg.

2006

On the courtyard the exhibition Geroofd, maar van wie? is installed in a temporary house of glass.

2007

The Hollandsche Schouwburg welcomes 40.000 visitors in one year.

2010

The integration of the Digital Monument and present Wall of Remembrance at the Hollandsche Schouwburg is being achieved with the use of an ikPod with which visitors can 'read' the wall.
Renewed website Hollandsche Schouwburg online.


The above chronological list provides an overview of major dates in the development of the Hollandsche Schouwburg as a national monument. The list doesn't attempt to be complete.

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl