Zierikzee

Wind vane on the roof of former synagogue Zierikzee in the Meelstraat (RDMZ)Beginning late in the 18th century a small group of Jews regularly gathered for prayer in a private home on the Oude Haven in Zierikzee. A Jewish cemetery, located on the Grachtweg, was established in Zierikzee in 1799.

An organized Jewish community arose in Zierikzee early in the 19th century. In 1825, the community consecrated a synagogue, located on the Meelstraat. The synagogue was refurbished in 1888 and continued to be used as a house of prayer until 1920. Today, the building serves as a private home; the only evidence of its original function is its wind vane on its roof shaped in the form of a lion holding a Star of David.

The Jewish community at Zierikzee was governed by a community board. Voluntary organizations included a burial society. Most local Jews were involved in trade or manufacturing. During the 19th century the Jewish Salomonson family of Almelo established a local cotton weaving factory in  Zierikzee.

Parokhet, gift to the Jewish community Zierikzee in 1875The Zierikzee community provided Jewish education to the children of its members; however, declining enrollment led to the closing of the school in 1860. By 1913, community membership fallen to the point that religious services were held only on holidays. The Jewish community at Zierikzee was administratively merged into that at Middelburg in 1922.

During the World War II German occupation of the Netherlands, practically all of the remaining Jews of Zierikzee were taken to Amsterdam and from there deported to Nazi concentration camps in Poland where they were murdered.

Today, there are some Jewish families living in Zierikzee. The Jewish cemetery is maintained by the municipality. A column dedicated to the memory of the deported and murdered Jews of Zierikzee stands at the corner of the Grachtweg and Caustraat, not far from the cemetery. 

Jewish population in Zierikzee:

1809 31
1840 58
1869 51
1899 28
1930 25


Collectie en mediatheek

 Parochet  1875
Rood fluwelen voorhang met hebreeuwse opschriften, Torakroon en in het midden een
door goudband afgezet motief van een vaandel met aan weerszijden afhangende kwasten ...
Collectie > Museumstukken > 02253

 Dossier  
Dossiers (158) van de Commissie voor Oorlogsschade mbt 155 joodse
gemeentes (Amsterdam en mediene), 1945-1950.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005954

meer treffers in Collectie > Documenten

 Familiefoto  1923 (ca.)
De zusjes Betsy, Clara en Rosa Labzowski, ca. 1923.
Collectie > Fotos > 40012999

meer treffers in Collectie > Fotos

 De archieven van de Nederlandsche Israelietische Gemeenten te Goes en te Zierikzee  s.a.
De archieven van de Nederlandsche Israelietische Gemeenten te Goes en te Zierikzee.
Collectie > Literatuur > 11000011

 Hier is verborgen ...  1983
Hier is verborgen ...
Collectie > Literatuur > 11000089

 Verslag van de Handelingen der Permanente Commissie van Juni 1902 tot Juni 1903.  
Jaarverslag van de Permanente Commissie, met oa vermelding van
de in dat jaar toegelaten godsdienstonderwijzers.
Collectie > Joodse pers > 20053576

meer treffers in Collectie > Joodse pers

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl