Woerden

Jews first settled in Woerden at the end of the 18th century. By the middle of the 19th century, the Jewish population of Woerden had grown to the point that, in 1856, a synagogue was opened at the corner of the Hogewoerd and the Groenendaal streets. A Jewish cemetery was established near the Westdam park during the very same year. At the time, most Jews in Woerden were traders, shopkeepers, and butchers.

The growth of the Jewish population of Woerden peaked during the 1870s and set into decline thereafter. The synagogue was razed in 1920 and in 1925 the Jewish community at Woerden was merged into that at Gouda.

During the World War II German occupation of the Netherlands, almost half of the Jews in Woerden were deported and murdered. The balance, many of whom survived the war in hiding, returned to Woerden after the war.

A monument to the murdered Jews of Woerden, inspired by an old family photograph of the Izaks, a local Jewish family of which only one member of which survived the war, was unveiled in 2002.  The Jewish cemetery that was established in 1856 is now maintained by the local authorities.  In 2013 the cemetery was restored.

Kamerik

In 1999 a monument was unveiled in nearby Kamerik in memory of two Jewish women who had hidden in the locale during the Second World War.

Jewish population in Woerden:

1809 36
1840 52
1869 75
1899 70
1930 18
Error parsing XSLT file: \xslt\Zoeken.xslt
jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl