Hardenberg

Jewish cemetery in HardenbergThe first Jew to settle in Hardenberg, one Israel Emanuel, arrived in the early years of the eighteenth century; he was also was the first to be buried at the local Jewish cemetery, Het Jodenbergje (The Jews' Hill). During the 1760's and 1780's barriers were placed in the way of Jews seeking to settle in Hardenberg. Nevertheless, the Jewish population of the town continued to grow.

Hardenberg was recognized as an independent Jewish community in 1824; prior to then it had been under the aegis of the Jewish community of Deventer. In 1855, the Hardenberg community consecrated its first synagogue, located on the Oosteinde. In 1903, the synagogue was moved to another building on the same street. The cemetery Het Jodenbergje ceased to be used at the end of the nineteenth century. A new cemetery was opened on the Gramsbergerweg in 1901.

During the second half of the nineteenth century, Jewish voluntary organizations in Hardenberg included the synagogue council, a study fellowship, a women's society, and a burial society. By the 1930's, the community also boasted a tennis club, business club, and choral and theater societies. The Hardenberg community's religious teacher was also its cantor and ritual slaughter and served other communities in the surroundings as well.

The Jews of Hardenberg worked as kosher slaughterers, tailors, clothing merchants, printers, and retailers. Community member R.E. de Bruin owned a printing plant and was the publisher of the local newspaper De Vechtstreek. He also played a prominent role in public life.

During the German occupation of the Netherlands in the Second World War, the Jews of Hardenberg suffered the same lot as Jews throughout the country. In 1942 and 1943, almost all were deported via transit camps in the Netherlands to Nazi death camps in Poland. Only a few returned alive or escaped deportation by going into hiding.

The Jewish community of Hardenberg was offically dissolved in 1947 and merged into that of Almelo. The synagogue was sold in 1948 and in 1980, despite protests, razed. In 1987, the municipal renamed a square in the neighborhood of the former synagogue after Israël Emanuel, the first Jew to settle in Hardenberg. By mid-2005, a stone commemorating the former synagogue will have been installed near the site where it had stood.

The Surroundings

From the beginning of the nineteenth century on, a single Jewish family lived in Gramsbergen, several kilometers north of Hardenberg. The family made use of Jewish facilities in Hardenberg.

In 2000, in nearby Collendoorn, a monument was unveiled at the site of the World War II Molengoot labor camp which had included among its inmates a number of Jewish prisoners.

On 20 April 2005, a memorial stone was reveiled, in the town center of Hardenberg, in the vicinity of the former synagogue.

Jewish population of Hardenberg and surroundings:

1809 19
1840 37
1869 77
1930 29


Collectie en mediatheek

 Dossier  
Dossiers (158) van de Commissie voor Oorlogsschade mbt 155 joodse
gemeentes (Amsterdam en mediene), 1945-1950.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005954

meer treffers in Collectie > Documenten

 Begraafplaats Hardenberg  1959
begraafplaats met grafstenen tussen bomen en struikgewas, in donkere herfsttinten.
Collectie > Museumstukken > 00476

 Overzichtsfoto  1980 (ca.)
Joodse begraafplaats Hardenberg, circa 1980.
Collectie > Fotos > 40002410

 Joden in Hardenberg  19..
Joden in Hardenberg.
Collectie > Literatuur > 11500028

meer treffers in Collectie > Literatuur

 [geen titel]  1910
titel, [geen titel]. bron, Nieuw Isr. Weekblad, vol. 45(1910), nr. 50, p. 5. materiaal,
bericht. trefwoorden, Appingedam voorzanger Granada, .. ...
Collectie > Joodse pers > 20000232

meer treffers in Collectie > Joodse pers

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl