Denekamp

The history of Jewish settlement in Denekamp dates to the early eighteenth century. Sources mention a Jewish resident in 1720.

DenekampThe Jews of Denekamp formed a single community together with the Jews of Ootmarsum. With the introduction of a central Dutch Jewish consistory 1821, the combined Denekamp-Ootmarsum community was designated a Bijsynagoge or local provincial community. The community's official synagogue was located in Ootmarsum but religious services were also held in a private home in Denekamp.

At first, the combined community buried its dead in a cemetery on the Almelose Straatweg in Ootmarsum. Beginning in the early-nineteenth century, the community used a cemetery in the village of Denekamp at Grave Es (today De Knik). From 1890 until 1939, the dead were buried at a cemetery on the Lattroperstraat.

Although the Jewish community of Denekamp grew throughout the nineteenth century, it maintained neither ritual bath nor religious school.
In 1906, the Denekamp community was administratively subsumed into that of Oldenzaal. After the dissolution of the Oldenzaal community in 1913, the Denekamp community finally was recognized as independent. A synagogue was built the same year.

During World War II almost all the Jews of Denekamp were murdered in Nazi death camps. The Denekamp community's synagogue was razed after the war. The Hebrew inscription from its façade was later mounted on the façade of the nearby Catholic Mariakapel. In 1988, a monument in memory of the Jewish community of Denekamp was unveiled on the Vledderstraat at the site of the razed synagogue. The remaining Jewish cemeteries are now maintained by the local authorities.

Jewish population of Denekamp: 

1748 21
1809 52
1869 63
1899 72
1930 54


Collectie en mediatheek

 [Naamlijst Centraal Israelietisch Weeshuis Utrecht, stichters]  1913 (ca.)
Naamlijst in gouden letters op zwart bord; ingelijst in houten lijst met gedecoreerde
rand met bloemdecoraties in de hoeken en in het midden.
Collectie > Museumstukken > 06742-08

meer treffers in Collectie > Museumstukken

 Dossier  
Dossiers (158) van de Commissie voor Oorlogsschade mbt 155 joodse
gemeentes (Amsterdam en mediene), 1945-1950.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005954

meer treffers in Collectie > Documenten

 Portretfoto  1935 (ca.)
Dubbelportret met Paul Denekamp en Tinnie vd Heijden, circa 1935.
Collectie > Fotos > 40000773

meer treffers in Collectie > Fotos

 Advertentiën : [Familieberichten]  1895
Namen voorkomende in de familieberichten in dit nummer.
Collectie > Joodse pers > 20039584

meer treffers in Collectie > Joodse pers

 Telling Denekamp 1748 ; Telling Denekamp 1795 ; Oudste begraafplaats Denekamp, 1817...  s.a.
Telling Denekamp 1748 ; Telling Denekamp 1795 ; Oudste begraafplaats Denekamp,
1817-1899 ; Nieuwe begraafplaats Denekamp, 1906-1936.
Collectie > Literatuur > 11509089

meer treffers in Collectie > Literatuur

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl