Delden

As in many towns and cities in the east of the Netherlands, German Jews settled in Delden at an early date. Jews are mentioned in court records from Delden dating to 1695 and 1710. Nevertheless, the Jewish population of Delden always remained small.

DeldenThe Jewish community of Delden was recognized as an independent community in 1838. The community had its own synagogue, dating to 1760, and two cemeteries. The older of the two cemeteries is located on the Twickel estate behind the Huize 't Eysink mansion on the Hengelostraat. It was last used in 1786. The oldest remaining gravestone in the cemetery dates to 1764. The second cemetery, called De Plaai, was declared a national monument in 1970. It is located on the Flierweg. Both cemeteries are maintained by the local authorities.

During the Second World War, the majority of the Jews of Delden were murdered in Nazi death camps. In 1947, the Delden community was officially dissolved and merged into that of the city of Enschede. In 1974, it was reassigned to the Jewish community of the city of Hengelo.

Brief van de Hofmaarschalk van koning Willem III met betrekking tot een bestelling bij slachter de Leeuw in Delden, 1863The Delden synagogue was sold soon after the war. For a time, it served as a storage place but was later razed. A stone from the façade of the synagogue is preserved in the Twente Museum in Enschede.

Jewish population of Delden:

1748 20
1809 26
1840 68
1869 55
1899 50
1930 35

Storing

Het zoeken in de collectie is wegens technische problemen tijdelijk helaas niet mogelijk.

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl