Jews resided in Enkhuizen as early as the seventeenth century. During the eighteenth century, the Enkhuizen community flourished. Portrait of Roosje Akker-Goldsmith from Enkhuizen, around 1890
In 1734, the Jews of Enkhuizen were granted the right to hold religious services at the home of one their members. Four years later, they were granted ground for a cemetery on the Bolwerk near the Koepoort in return for annual sum. During the same decade, the community hired a teacher to provide religious lessons. In the 1780's, a conflict temporarily divided the community in two. Nevertheless, in 1791, the community consecrated a synagogue on the Zuiderhavendijk near the harbor of Enkuizen. The economic decline of Enkuizen during Napoleonic rule (1795-1813) marked a sudden reversal in the lot and size of the local Jewish population.

During World War II, the Jews of Enkhuizen fared better than Jews elsewhere. The mayor of Enkhuizen refused to cooperate in the expulsion of Jewish children from public schools. In 1943, faced with deportation to Amsterdam, most Enkuizen Jews fled into hiding, enabling many to survive the war.

Former synagogue in Enkhuizen, 1984 (WL)After the war, only a few Jews continued to reside in Enkhuizen. In 1964, the community was merged into that of the city of Alkmaar. Although the synagogue came through the German occupation unharmed, it now houses a church. The Holy Ark of the former synagogue is now in the collection of the Jewish Historical Museum in Amsterdam. Enkuizen's Jewish cemetery and its roughly 130 graves are maintained by the local authorities.

Jewish population of Enkhuizen and surroundings:

1795 105
1805 58
1809 50
1840 50
1869 74
1899 50
1930 25
1951 23


Het zoeken in de collectie is wegens technische problemen tijdelijk helaas niet mogelijk.