Beverwijk

The Jewish presence in Beverwijk dates to the early years of the nineteenth century. The community was officially recognized in 1809 and, in the very same year, purchased a cemetery site on de Kruiskrocht along the Kuikensweg in the nearby village of Wijk aan Zee. In 1810, the community purchased the building of the former Spes Mea Deus church on the Breestraat in Beverwijk and converted it into a synagogue.

Beverwijk

In the early years, the Jewish population of Beverwijk community grew slowly and then declined. By 1815, the decline of the community had led to financial problems but, by mid-century, the problems were resolved and the community recovered. In 1864, the community constructed a new synagogue - subsidized by the municipal government of Beverwijk - and also expanded its cemetery. By 1874, the ongoing growth of the community led to the construction of a new Jewish school. Beginning in the 1920s, the Jewish population of Beverwijk once again declined, in part due to the attraction of the blossoming Jewish communal life that had emerged in nearby Velsen.

During the late 1930's, Dutch Zionist pioneers preparing for emigration to Palestine received agricultural training at "Kibbutz Beverwijk." The nearby town of Wijk aan Zee also played an important role in the lives of Jewish young people. In 1885, the Herstellings- en Vacantieoord voor Israëlietische Kinderen (Recovery and Vacation Place for Israelite Children) was established at Beverwijk. Some years later, its name was changed to the Israëlietisch Herstellings- en Vacantieoord te Wijk aan Zee (Israelite Recovery and Vacation Place at Wijk aan Zee). During the 1930's, the institution came to be known as the Jozeboko, short for Joodsche Zee- en Boschkolonies (Jewish Sea and Forest Colonies). Even after the Second World War, Jewish children continued to vacation at Wijk aan Zee.

BeverwijkDuring the Second World War, the fate of the Jews of Beverwijk was the same as that of Jews elsewhere. In March, 1942, the Jews of Beverwijk were ordered to move to Amsterdam. From Amsterdam they were deported, first to the transit camp at Westerbork and then to Nazi death camps where most of them were murdered. A small number of Beverwijk Jews managed to escape death by going into hiding. After the war, thirty Jews from Beverwijk returned alive from the camps.

In 1947, the Jewish community of Beverwijk was subsumed into that of the city of Haarlem. Beverwijk's synagogue, the interior of which had been badly damaged during the war, was sold and later demolished. In 1951, the community's cemetery was cleared away and the remains of its dead re-interred at the Duinrust public cemetery which, to this day, is maintained by the municipality of Beverwijk. A plaque marking the site of the Breestraat Synagogue was unveiled in 1997.

Jewish population of Beverwijk en surroundings:

1809 68
1840 81
1869 123
1899 130
1930 135


Collectie en mediatheek

 Dossier  
Dossiers (158) van de Commissie voor Oorlogsschade mbt 155 joodse
gemeentes (Amsterdam en mediene), 1945-1950.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005954

meer treffers in Collectie > Documenten

 Overzichtsfoto  1942 (ca.)
Bekladde synagoge te Beverwijk, circa 1942.
Collectie > Fotos > 40004887

meer treffers in Collectie > Fotos

 [geen titel]  1923
titel, [geen titel]. bron, Nieuw Isr. Weekblad, vol. 59(1923), nr. 17, p. 6. materiaal,
bericht. trefwoorden, Beverwijk begrafenis Davidson, ML. signatuur, micro ...
Collectie > Joodse pers > 20000431

meer treffers in Collectie > Joodse pers

 They were our friends : a memorial for the members of the Hachsharot and the Hehalutz...  1990
They were our friends : a memorial for the members of the Hachsharot and the
Hehalutz underground in Holland murdered in the holocaust.
Collectie > Literatuur > 11508190

meer treffers in Collectie > Literatuur

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl