Geertruidenberg

Synagogue Geertruidenberg in the Brandestraat, 1927During the 1460's, a Jewish financier served as an intermediary between the Geertruidenberg and the Count of Holland. Nevertheless, it was not until the 1790's that Jews were reported to have lived in the town. An organized Jewish community arose in Geertruidenberg only in 1810. In 1842, the community bought a house and converted it to a synagogue. The poor condition of the house led to its being demolished in 1879. Subsidies from the national and local governments and from other Jewish communities enabled the Jews of Geertruidenberg to construct a new synagogue on the Elfhuizen at the Marktplein. The synagogue was attended both by local Jews and by Jewish soldiers stationed in the area. The Geertruidenberg community had no cemetery of its own but buried their dead in the town of Oosterhout. Nor did the community maintain a religious school; its children received their Jewish education at home. The community did maintain its own association for assistance to the poor. In 1910, the Jewish communities of Capelle and Oosterhout were merged into that of Geertruidenberg.

Former synagogue Geertruidenberg, 1984 (WL)Only a few of the Jews of Geertruidenberg survived the Second World War.
The community was dissolved in 1947 and merged into that of the city of Breda. The synagogue was sold and is now used as a storage place. Its twin stone tablets inscribed with the Ten Commandments are still visible on its façade. The appearance of building was modified during a renovation in 1996 but, in 2002, these changes were undone and the building restored to its original appearance. The former synagogue now houses a travel agency.

Jewish population of Geertruidenberg:

1809 1
1840 26
1869 37
1899 28
1930 42

Storing

Het zoeken in de collectie is wegens technische problemen tijdelijk helaas niet mogelijk.

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl