Gendringen

The earliest surviving evidence of a Jewish presence in Gendringen are Jewish listed names in a clerical document from the first half of the seventeenth century. By the close of the same century, a Jewish financier had leased the local lending bank. During the seventeenth century, a number of Jewish families settled in Gendringen but the community remained small and mostly poor.

GendringenBy 1800, the Jews of Gendringen held religious services in the home of the local cantor. In 1811, a synagogue was opened on the Kromme Elleboog street. By 1840, a cemetery had been founded outside the town on the present-day Ulftseweg. At first, the Jewish community of Gendringen was formally part of that of 's-Heerenberg but, in 1840, the Gendringen community was designated an independent congregation (Bijkerk). Within the community, two members of the synagogue council also served as a council for delivering aid to the poor. The community did not offer Jewish education. The Jewish community of Gendringen ceased to exist long before the Second World War and was officially dissolved in 1941.

Jewish population of Gendringen:

1809 49
1840 64
1869 56
1899 38
1930 13

Storing

Het zoeken in de collectie is wegens technische problemen tijdelijk helaas niet mogelijk.

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl