Dieren

The Jewish community of Dieren dates to the last quarter of the nineteenth century. In 1878, the Jews of Dieren were given permission to hold synagogue services in a room in the village school house. At the time, the Dieren community officially belonged to the Jewish community of Doesburg; it was not until 1882 that the Dieren community gained independent status.

DierenIn 1884, the Dieren community consecrated a synagogue on the Stockvischstraat (today the Spoorstraat). The new synagogue's furnishings and ceremonial objects were from a no longer extant synagogue in Deventer. Almost a decade later, the Dieren community purchased ground for a cemetery near the Goudakkers, today the Diepenbrocklaan. Jewish religious lessons were given in Dieren from 1884 until 1942. A schoolhouse was dedicated in 1898.

DierenJewish organizations in Dieren included the synagogue council, a burial society, a social club, and two women's societies, one of which cared for the interior and ceremonial objects of the synagogue. As to the circumstances of the community, in 1901 twenty-five percent of the Jewish population of Dieren required some degree of financial aid.

During the first decades of the twentieth century, economic development in the region led to the growth of the local Jewish population. In addition, about twenty Jewish refugees from Germany settled in Dieren during the 1930's.

In the autumn of 1942, 139 Jewish slave laborers were quartered in a villa on the Zutphensestraatweg. They had been conscripted to work on construction at the Avegoor estate in nearby Ellecom which was used by the Dutch SS as a training school from 1941 to 1943. The slave laborers were severely mistreated during their stay in Dieren, causing three of the group to die while working at Avegoor. In November, 1942 the rest of the group was sent to the transit camp at Westerbork. Most of the Jews of Dieren were deported via Westerbork to Nazi death camps in 1943.

Dieren synagogue (foto Andre van Dijk, Veenendaal)The Dieren community was not reestablished after the war; it was officially incorporated into the Jewish community of Arnhem in 1950. The cemetery has been cared for by the municipality of Rhenen since 1966.
The synagogue was sold in 1952. The building housed a church from 1983.
From April 2005, the Foundation "De Dierense Shul" is dedicated to restoring the former Synagogue in Dieren to its original function. The Foundation was able to acquire the building in April 2007. After restoration the synagogue has been reconsecrated on 7 March 2010. Now services of the liberal Jewish community take place in the synagogue.


In 1998, a monument was unveiled in Ellecom in memory of the murdered slave laborers.

Jewish population of Dieren:

1809 8
1840 37
1869 46
1899 70
1930 114


Collectie en mediatheek

 Dossier  
Dossiers (158) van de Commissie voor Oorlogsschade mbt 155 joodse
gemeentes (Amsterdam en mediene), 1945-1950.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005954

meer treffers in Collectie > Documenten

 FIRMA D. KATZ  1937
Tekst met in het midden een foto van een mansportret door Rembrandt.
Collectie > Museumstukken > 07598

 Kleerhanger  1886-1990
Houten klerenhanger met metalen haakje van de firma De Magneet.
Op de zijkant tekst in zwarte letters.
Collectie > Museumstukken > 11784

 Portretfoto  
Portret van twee kinderen: Salomon en Sara Levie uit Dieren.
Collectie > Fotos > 40002004

meer treffers in Collectie > Fotos

 [Binnenland] : Delfzijl  1908
Bericht van het overlijden en van de begrafenis van de heren
Nephtalie B. Goldsmit en Benjamin Nieweg.
Collectie > Joodse pers > 20000655

meer treffers in Collectie > Joodse pers

 Joods leven in Dieren, Rheden en Velp  1987 (cop.)
Joods leven in Dieren, Rheden en Velp.
Collectie > Literatuur > 11502504

meer treffers in Collectie > Literatuur

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl