Sneek

Sneek synagogue, 1911Throughout the eighteenth century Jewish families occasionally resided in Sneek, however the local Jewish population did not begin to grow until after 1809. An organized Jewish community was founded in Sneek in 1817. The new community was initially granted the status of a local community (Bijkerk) under the aegis of the Jewish community at Leeuwarden but in 1824 was elevated to the rank of regional community (Ringsynagoge).

Initially, the Jews of Sneek met for prayer in a private residence on the Oosterdijk. Over the course of the nineteenth century, a series of other locations served the community as its synagogue. These included an upstairs room in a house on De Pol, purchased by the community in 1819, and a building on the Wijde Brugstraat, first used a synagogue in 1836. In 1880, the Sneek community constructed a brand new synagogue on the site of the Wijde Brugstraat building. The building was designed in neo-Moorish style. It was restored in 1905.

The ground for the Jewish cemetery on the Leeuwarderstraatweg (the present-day Burgermeester De Hooppark) was purchased by the community in 1823. The cemetery was expanded in 1890. Following a split in the community at the end of the nineteenth century over an issue pertaining taxation, a second Jewish cemetery was opened in a separate section of the Non-sectarian cemetery on the Kerkhoflaan. The issue was eventually resolved and the community reunited.

The Jewish community at Sneek was governed by a community board and community council. Voluntary organizations included a torah study fellowship, a society for assistance to the poor, a burial society, and a society for the upkeep of the synagogue and its appurtenances. During the first decades of the twentieth century, branches of the Alliance Israélite Universelle and the Nederlandse Zionistenbond were active in Sneek. Many of the Jews of Sneek worked in the retail sector, a smaller number worked in the meat processing industry.

Under the German occupation of the Netherlands during the Second World War slightly more than half of the Jews of Sneek went into hiding and survived; the balance were deported and murdered. The community's synagogue was destroyed by members of the Dutch collaborationist NSB movement. The synagogue's torah scrolls came through the war unharmed and its silver ceremonial objects, stolen by Germans, were later recovered.

Havdalah dish donated to the synagogue in Sneek by Jochanan ben Chaim Sanders and his wife Jitche, 1880Jewish life did not resume in Sneek after the war. The ruined synagogue building was razed in 1949. A number of its remaining ceremonial objects were donated to the settlement of Kfar Batya in Israel.
In 1950, Sneek was placed within the administrative district of the Jewish community at Leeuwarden. A memorial plaque was placed at the site of the former synagogue in Sneek in 1972; the plaque was moved to the garden of Sneek's town hall in 1999. In 1980, a street in Sneek was renamed after the locally-born Jewish economist Sam de Wolff (1878-1960), an active socialist and Zionist.

The Jewish cemetery at Sneek is currently maintained by the local authorities.

IJlst and Stavoren
From the seventeenth century on, Jews lived in nearby IJlst and Stavoren; their numbers, however, were never sufficient to form a separate Jewish community.

Workum
The Jewish cemetery at Workum dates back to 1664 and is the oldest Jewish cemetery in Friesland. It was declared a national monument in 1999.

Jewish population of Sneek and surroundings: 

1809 13
1840 144
1869 127
1899 132
1930 49


Collectie en mediatheek

 Dossier  
Dossiers (158) van de Commissie voor Oorlogsschade mbt 155 joodse
gemeentes (Amsterdam en mediene), 1945-1950.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005954

meer treffers in Collectie > Documenten

 Toraschild (onderdeel)  
Zilveren plaatje met op weerszijden een joodse feestdag in het Hebreeuws.
Vermoedelijk voor gebruik op een toraschild.
Collectie > Museumstukken > 11347

meer treffers in Collectie > Museumstukken

 Overzichtsfoto  1903-08-01
Foto van Wijde Burgstraat in Sneek met synagoge, 1903.
Collectie > Fotos > 40001018

meer treffers in Collectie > Fotos

 Alfabetisch register op de collectie Brilleman van de begraafplaatsen der Nederlands...  1991
Alfabetisch register op de collectie Brilleman van de begraafplaatsen der Nederlands
Israelietische Gemeenten in de Mediene Friesland = index graveyards Friesland ...
Collectie > Literatuur > 11508649

meer treffers in Collectie > Literatuur

 Vergadering van de Centrale Commissie tot de Alg. Zaken van het Ned. Isr....  
Eerste deel van het verslag van een vergadering van de Centrale Commissie tot de
Alg. Zaken van het Ned. Isr. Kerkgenootschap die plaatshad in de vergaderzaal aan ...
Collectie > Joodse pers > 20065733

meer treffers in Collectie > Joodse pers

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl