Lemmer

Voormalige synagoge aan de Schans 29 te Lemmer, 1984 (WL)

At least one Jewish family resided in Lemmer by 1740. Beginning in 1770, Jews arriving or departing from or to Amsterdam by ferry at Lemmer could purchase Kosher meals at the De Wyldeman Inn, which was managed by a non-Jewish proprietor.

The Jews of Lemmer purchased a plot of land at the foot of the Zeedijk for use as a cemetery in 1801. The oldest remaining gravestone in the cemetery is dated 1817. Problems caused by floods led the community to replace the cemetery with a new one at the village of Tacozijl in 1876.

A synagogue, located on the Schans te Lemmer was opened in 1820. It was renovated with the support of the local municipality in 1866 and remained open until 1920 when it was sold and rebuilt as a private residence.
The Jews of Lemmer did not maintain any voluntary organizations until 1906 when it established a joint burial society and Torah study fellowship. The Lemmer community was placed under the aegis of the community at Sneek in 1924.

The few Jews who remained in Lemmer at the outset of the German occupation of the Netherlands during the Second World War were deported in 1941 and murdered in Nazi death camps.
In November 2006 a monument was erected commemorating Jozeph and Sarah Blok, the only Jewish citizens of Lemmer at the beginning of the war. They died in Auschwitz in November 1942. Their names are also recorded on a monument in the Jewish cemetery at Tacozijl.

The cemetery at Tacozijl was restored in 1989 and is now maintained by the Frisian nature protection society It Fryske Gea.
 

Jewish population of Lemmer:

1809 32
1840 71
1869 109
1899 53
1930 12


Collectie en mediatheek

 Dossier  
Dossiers (158) van de Commissie voor Oorlogsschade mbt 155 joodse
gemeentes (Amsterdam en mediene), 1945-1950.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005954

 Naamlijst  1942-11-12
Lijst met namen, geboortedata en adressen van ruim 120 joden die
op 12 november 1942 vertrokken zijn uit Friesland.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005720

 Fotoalbum  1971-11-03
Fotoalbum aangeboden aan het echtpaar Beem over Mizrachi's
Womens Organization in America Kfar Batya, 1971.
Collectie > Fotos > 40001230

 Overzichtsfoto  1984
Voormalige synagoge te Lemmer (Schans 29), 1984.
Collectie > Fotos > 40002771

 [Binnenland] : Benoemingen  
Benoemingen door de Permanente Commissie in diverse schoolbesturen.
Collectie > Joodse pers > 20031865

meer treffers in Collectie > Joodse pers

 Alfabetisch register op de collectie Brilleman van de begraafplaatsen der Nederlands...  1991
Alfabetisch register op de collectie Brilleman van de begraafplaatsen der Nederlands
Israelietische Gemeenten in de Mediene Friesland = index graveyards Friesland ...
Collectie > Literatuur > 11508649

meer treffers in Collectie > Literatuur

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl