In 1781, a single Jew resided in Heerenveen. Over the next ten years, the Jewish population of Hereveen grew to four families. In 1813, the Jews of Hereveen asked the central Jewish consistory for the province of Friesland at Leeuwarden for permission to hold synagogue services at the High Holidays. In 1817, the Jewish community at Heerenveen was granted independent status. In 1819, the community opened a synagogue located on the Heerenwal. Membership in the Heereveen community - which grew to include the districts of Haskerland, Schoterland, and a part of Weststellingerwerf - reached its highest numbers during the 1870's. Thereafter, membership declined.

The Heerenveen synagogue was rebuilt in 1892 and was consecrated anew in 1893. Most of the Jews in Heerenveen lived either near the synagogue or along the Molenwijk canal and the alleyways surrounding it. The majority sold clothing or worked as butchers. The oldest Jewish cemetery in Heerenveen - located in Veensluis at the border between the hamlets of 'T Veen en De Knipe - was in use between 1860 en 1880. In 1883, a donation from the Rothschild family enabled the community to purchase a ground for a new cemetery in the village of Oranjewoud.

Jewish cemetery in HeerenveenVoluntary organizations within the Heerenveen community included a men's society and a women's society; both probably were dedicated to caring for the sick and also served as burial societies. A second women's society cared for the upkeep of the interior of the synagogue and its accoutrements.

The Jewish community of Heerenveen was merged into that of Sneek in 1933. The Heerenveen synagogue was razed in the very same year. A memorial plaque from the synagogue can be found in the local historical museum. Both Jewish cemeteries are now maintained by the local authorities. In 2000, Beth Ha-Tsafon, a Liberal (Reformed) Jewish Community for the north of the Netherlands, was founded at Heerenveen.

Jewish population of Heerenveen: 

1809 4
1840 34
1869 70
1899 71
1930 23

Collectie en mediatheek

Dossiers (158) van de Commissie voor Oorlogsschade mbt 155 joodse
gemeentes (Amsterdam en mediene), 1945-1950.
Collectie > Documenten > 00005954

meer treffers in Collectie > Documenten

 Lauwerkrans  1924
object, lauwerkrans. maker, onbekend. materiaal, zilver. datering, 1924. plaats,
Nederland. hoogte, 23.3. breedte, 20.6. collectie, Joods Historisch Museum. ...
Collectie > Museumstukken > 02706

 Overzichtsfoto  1982 (ca.)
Joodse begraafplaats Heerenveen, circa 1982.
Collectie > Fotos > 40002412

 Overzichtsfoto  1939 (ca.)
Jeanette Bloch (1856-1941), een bekende straatfiguur in Heerenveen,
die bekend stond onder de naam "Hannapoes", ca. 1939.
Collectie > Fotos > 40013865

 Alfabetisch register op de collectie Brilleman van de begraafplaatsen der Nederlands...  1991
Alfabetisch register op de collectie Brilleman van de begraafplaatsen der Nederlands
Israelietische Gemeenten in de Mediene Friesland = index graveyards Friesland ...
Collectie > Literatuur > 11508649

meer treffers in Collectie > Literatuur

 [geen titel]  1918
titel, [geen titel]. bron, Nieuw Isr. Weekblad, vol. 53(1918), nr. 35, p. 3.
materiaal, bericht. trefwoorden, Emmen voorzanger Davidson ...
Collectie > Joodse pers > 20001022

meer treffers in Collectie > Joodse pers