The De Pinto House

Sint Antoniesbreestraat 69

The De Pinto HouseAt number 69 Sint Antoniebreestraat stands the De Pinto House, named after a wealthy Portuguese-Jewish family of merchants. In 1651 Isaac de Pinto bought the premises from Jan Janszoon Carel, one of the founders of the Dutch East India Company (VOC).
De Pinto's son David Emanuel de Pinto had the house radically rebuilt in 1686, creating the imposing classical front façade. The house remained in the family until the 19th century. After that it fell into disrepair.

At the beginning of the 1970s the building was threatened with demolition. The Department of Public Works had plans to put up office blocks and hotels in the neighbourhood and turn Sint Antoniebreestraat into a four-lane highway. However, the De Pinto Trust managed to save the house and in 1975 had it restored. Thus the historic line of the buildings on the street was preserved and on completion of the metro new dwellings went up around the De Pinto House. It is now a public library owned by the Amsterdam Monuments Trust. Inside is well worth a look - there are striking old-master paintings on the ceiling and an impressive antique chimneypiece.


Het zoeken in de collectie is wegens technische problemen tijdelijk helaas niet mogelijk.