Muiderberg Cemetery

Googweg 6, Muiderberg

Collection JHM. Jewish Life in Amsterdam, 1999-2002, Anita Frank and Pauline Prior.The cemetery for the High German (Ashkenazi) Jews in Muiderberg is an impressive location. Second only to the Sephardi cemetery in Ouderkerk-on-the-Amstel, it is the oldest Jewish burial ground in the Netherlands. In 1642 the High German Jewish community bought a plot of land in Muiderberg. Shortly after, in 1660, Polish Jews bought an adjacent plot. When the two communities merged, they also joined their cemeteries.

As time passed various extensions were made. From way back, Muiderberg has been the largest Jewish cemetery in the Netherlands. In 1933 Harry Elte, architect of the Jacob Obrecht synagogue, designed a new reception room and house of purification which was later used an auditorium.

Over the entrance to the auditorium are the words in Hebrew, 'We know, Eternal One, that your judgements are righteous' - an extract from the prayer recited at the start of a funeral. Just as he did in the Obrecht shul, Elte made stained-glass windows in Art Deco style for this building.

Close to the house of purification are two monuments: one to all the victims of the Holocaust and one specifically for the Amsterdam rabbis who were killed in World War II. The cemetery in Muiderberg is the only burial place of the Ashkenazi community (NIK) that is still frequently used.

The burial registers of the Muiderberg cemetery are online available


Storing

Het zoeken in de collectie is wegens technische problemen tijdelijk helaas niet mogelijk.

jhm.nljhmkindermuseum.nlhollandscheschouwburg.nlportugesesynagoge.nletshaim.nljoodsmonument.nlmenassehbenisrael.nl